Shetland Golf Club
You are here: Home » News » Shetland Open 2010

Shetland Open 2010

News Posted: 10th August 2010

At 6AM it was looking more likely that a swimming rather than golfing competition could be held at Dale on Saturday as the burn threatened to burst its banks and fairways were covered in pools of water. Anxious checks were made on a number of weather forecast websites to see if any improvement was likely. All said roughly the same, which was that the heavy rain was to pass by mid morning. So the decision was taken to delay the start of the 2010 Shetland Open, sponsored by JW Gray’s and The Famous Grouse until 9AM with a two-tee start. There followed some hurried phone calls by captain Erik Burgess to inform the later starting players of the new tee-times and allow them some extra time in bed.

Play got underway as scheduled at 9AM and despite the ever changing weather during the morning with everything from sunshine, mist, drizzle and heavy showers there was some exceptional scoring.

Leading the way after Round 1 in the Scratch Section were Jordan Leask, Alan Harcus and Gavin Philip who shot 73’s. Two shots further back was Lee Carter, then T George Leask on 76. Ernie Smith and Ross Chisholm were close by on 77 and a posse of 5 players were on 78.

In the handicap Section, Gavin’s lifetime best of nett 61 (73) was only enough for a share of the lead with Joshua Morrison (83). Three shots back with nett 64’s were Lee Carter (75) and Michael Grant (79). On nett 68 were Alan Harcus (73) and MSP Tavish Scott (79) and a shot further back Dougie Shearer (78) Graeme Davie (89) and Glen Gilfillan (82).

After some first class soup and sandwiches provided by Teenie’s Kitchen the stage was set to see whether the leading handicap players could hold things together in the second round and who would prevail between Jordan and Alan as they had been drawn in the same group.

Although the weather stayed dry in the afternoon a swirling breeze made scoring difficult and perhaps tiring limbs meant the scores did not quite match the morning efforts. The leading second round Handicap scores were Glen Gilfillan (78) and Paul Nicol (82) sharing the lowest nett with 65’s. Ramsay Hogg (86) was two shots back with a 67 and Marc Henry (79) a further shot back with a 68. Ramsay’s 67 saw him sneak into the winners enclosure in eighth place on a 141 total. Seventh was Lee Carter on 140, sixth went to Michael Grant on 138, fifth after countback was Marc Henry also on 138. Paul’s joint top second round 65 saw him claim fourth, first round co-leader Joshua Morrison claimed third on 135. Two very steady scores of nett 69 and 65 saw Glen Gilfillan take the runner up spot on 134, but holding onto top spot to claim the trophy was Gavin Philip on 132 (61,71).

The scratch section was also closely fought with Ross Chisholm taking fifth on 156. Magnus Leask also on a 156 total sneaked fourth on countback from Ross after a second round 75. Claiming a podium finish in third was Ian Scott on 154. Runner-up after a second round 78 for a 151 total was Alan Harcus, but claiming the claret jug for the second year in the row, after two consistently solid scores of 73 and 74 for a total of 147 was Jordan Leask.

Other prize-winners on the day were Nearest the pin in 2 at the 3rd - Ian Pottinger, Longest Drive - Michael Welsh, Nearest the pin @ 14th - Ian Scott and Nearest the pin @ 17th - Glen Gilfillan.

Club Captain Erik Burgess then donned his sponsors hat to thank the players for turning up and playing, and confirmed how happy JW Gray’s and The Famous Grouse were to be associated with the most prestigious event in Shetland’s golfing calendar. He also thanked Christine and Amanda for the excellent food and coping with a power cut, Pauline and Harriet behind the bar, Alan Preshaw for acting as starter and Michael Gray and dad, Jimmy for checking the scores, and to Stevie Tulloch who was going to conduct the raffle.

The trophy winners re-iterated Erik’s comments, thanked their playing partners and Edwin and his team for presenting the course in such excellent condition. In fact, it is testament to their work that despite the early morning downpour how dry the course was underfoot.